By Chef Gretchen:
These are always a big hit in our family. Never can make enough.
12 oz potatoes peeled
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon flour; or more
¾ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
Method of Preparation
1. In a food processor or box grater, grate the potatoes.
2. Transfer potatoes to a colander or sieve placed over a bowl.
3. Press and squeeze out moisture.
4. Let potatoes drain for 15 minutes.
5. Pour off liquid from the bowl but leave the white potato starch that settles in the bottom of the bowl.
6. To that starch add shallots, eggs, flour, half the salt and pepper.
7. Return drained potatoes to this mixture and toss to combine.
8. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking pan with paper towels.
9. When you are ready to eat, in a large skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium high heat until hot. Gently drop heaping tablespoonfuls of potato mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes a side
10. Latkes should be golden and crisp on both sides.
11. Eat right away or keep warm in oven.
12. Traditionally served with applesauce or sour cream or cottage cheese mixed with sour cream.